Knossos: Pre-booked e-Ticket with Audio Tour
From: 27,50€ per person
Entrance e-ticketUse your phone or print the voucher
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
English, Deutsch, FrançaisFor both audio and stories included
From: 27,50€ per person
Enjoy an exciting visit to Knossos, Crete’s most famous historical attraction with a skip-the-line e-ticket, a compelling audio tour downloadable on your phone and a detailed map of the site. Visit the grand capital of Minoan Crete, located 5 km south of Heraklion, and see the evocative setting with the impressive ruins and the brightly-colored frescoes, come alive through an engaging narrative that sheds light upon various elements of Minoan culture.
The cupbearers and procession frescoes at the South Propylaeum depicting scenes from everyday life and the ceremonial activities in Minoan Crete are a great insight into the aesthetic ideals of the time. Follow the evolution of Minoan fashion, learn about the popular hairstyles of the people and discover the beauty products that they used to touch up their look.
At the West Magazines, where the storage facilities of the palace are located, you will gain an understanding of the well-organized bureaucracy that supported the palace organization, the earliest forms of linear writing, as well as the Minoan economy and trade networks. Discover the copy of the “Prince of the Lilies” at the South Entrance Corridor and gaze out on Mount Juktas, perfectly framed by the eroded walls of the palace.
Visit the Queen’s Megaron decorated with the famous blue dolphins fresco and equipped with a bathroom and a toilet room where you are going to find out everything about the bath habits in the Minoan era.
An Oxford Don in Knossos
The remains of ancient Knossos were first discovered in 1878 by the Cretan merchant and amateur archaeologist, Minos Kalokairinos. But it was in 1900 that Sir Arthur Evans fully uncovered Knossos. Evans was a curator of the Ashmolean Museum of Art from 1884 to 1908 and a professor of prehistoric archaeology in Oxford. He visited Knossos for the first time in 1894 and three years later he purchased the plot where the current archaeological site was located and began the excavations. Evans, convinced that he had found the ancient palace of King Minos, reconstructed the remains of the site to restore it to its former glory. To do so, he used foreign materials, such as concrete. Despite its controversial method, Evan’s romantic vision helps the visitor to understand and appreciate the splendor of Knossos.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Activation link to access your audio tour
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Opening hours for Knossos Palace
1 April - 31 October
- Monday - Sunday: -
1 November - 31 March
- Monday - Sunday: -
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Knossos. Ticket(s) will be sent 24 hours prior to your visit
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- The site is not wheelchair accessible.
- EU citizens aged 0-25 years old, are entitled to have free admission tickets. However, they have to wait in line to show ID card or passport.
- From 1st of April to 31st of October Non-EU citizens, between 6 to 25 years old, upon presentation of their passport, are entitled to 50% reduced admission.
- From 1st of April to 31st of October senior citizens over 65 from Greece or other EU member-states and the European Economic Area, upon presentation of their ID card or passport for verification of their age and country of origin.
- Free/reduced admission tickets do not have skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- To receive a full refund, travelers may cancel up to 24 hours before the experience start date in the local timezone. No refunds will be given after that time period.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit – no WiFi/4G on-site
- Check your spam folder as well.
- Tickets need to be either printed or downloaded on your phone
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- The archaeological site of Knossos is extensive and open so the visitors should wear comfortable shoes and sunscreen and take a hat and a bottle of water.
Contributors and Bibliography
Tour Author: Cultural Mapping
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!