Heraklion Archaeological Museum: Pre-booked e-ticket with Audio Tour
Experience the Heraklion Archaeological Museum at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a fascinating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone. Receive your ticket by email, download the app, and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the masterpieces of Minoan art. Put on your headphones and explore representative artefacts from all periods of Cretan prehistory and history, covering a chronological span of over 5,500 years from the Neolithic period to Roman times through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. The tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into one of the oldest and most important museums in Greece that is rightly considered as the Museum of Minoan Culture par excellence.
A Great Visionary
In 1883, Iosif Chatzidakis, a doctor, an antiquarian, and the founder and president of the Cretan Philological Committee, organized the city’s first archaeological collection. He set up an archaeological service with the permission of the Ottoman authorities. Let’s not forget that at this point Crete was part of the Ottoman Empire and would remain so until 1898. That first collection was housed in two rooms in the courtyard of St. Minas Church. The museum was built in 1904-1907 over the remains of the monastery of St. Francis, which had fallen apart during an earthquake in 1856. Chatzidakis along with archaeologist Stefanos Xanthoudidis created and expanded the collection of the museum to which an extra wing was added in 1912. After its renovation, it adopted a distinctive neoclassical idiom.
Select date and participants
The entrance of the archaeological museum
- Adult entry ticket
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Heraklion Archaeological Museum.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with important ticket & audio instructions.
- Booking requests received between 22:00 to 7:59 (UTC+02:00) are served from 8.00 and on.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free/reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The Heraklion Archeological Museum is wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit – no wifi/4G on-site
- Receive an email from the local supplier with important ticket & audio instructions. Check your spam folder as well.
- Tickets need to be either printed or downloaded on your phone.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is one of the most visited sites in Crete. The best time to visit is early in the morning or at the end of the day. It is more crowded during the holidays and at weekends.
- In order to enjoy your visit to the fullest, you should wear comfortable shoes and have your camera or cell phone fully charged.
- Due to the special circumstances (COVID-19), please keep in mind that the maximum number of visitors in the museum at any given time is 15 individuals. The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed due to the circumstances. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the guards of the site. Visitors should maintain a distance of at least 1.5 meters amongst them when in open spaces and of 2 meters when in closed spaces. Especially in queues, a distance of 1.5 meters between visitors should be maintained at all times. Non-medical protective face masks and frequent use of an antiseptic solution containing no less than 70% alcohol are strongly advised. Inside the museum, facial masks are mandatory for all visitors who should keep a safety distance of at least 2m.
- Inside the museum, suitcases or trolleys are not allowed.
The itinerary starts on the ground floor with the Minoan Collection, continues on the first floor with the Minoan Frescoes and the Historic Period, and ends back on the ground floor with the Sculpture Collection.
From 1 April to 31 October:
Monday and Wednesday-Sunday 08:00 – 20:00
From 1 November to 30 November:
Weekdays (except for Tuesdays): 08:00 – 18:00
Tuesday: 10:00 – 18:00
From 1 December to 31 March:
Monday, Wednesday – Sunday: 09:00 – 16:00
Tuesday: 10:00 – 17:00
Recommended visiting hours
10:00 – 12:00
Directions to Starting Point
There is no meeting point. The tour begins at the entrance of the Heraklion Archaeological Museum which is located at the center of Heraklion, just two minutes away from the very crowded Eleftherias square (Xanthoudidou 2 Str., Τ.Κ. 71202, Heraklion, Crete). Be sure that you have already printed your ticket, before presenting it to the staff. You can go to the Heraklion Archaeological Museum on foot or by taking a bus or taxi if you don’t live in the city center. The tour ends at the Museum’s courtyard which is located inside the museum.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.