Waltz in the Accademia Gallery with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmark of Florence. Start your tour from the Accademia Gallery facade outside the Accademia Gallery building and then proceed to explore the ground floor, where you can admire Michelangelo’s David, the Musical Instruments Museum showcasing an authentic Stradivari Viola and the first floor featuring Pieta by Lorenzo Monaco among others.This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the Accademia Gallery with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Accademia Gallery is not included.
So how did it all begin? Well, in the second half of the 18th century, the Grand Duke of Tuscany, Pietro Leopoldo decided to combine the Florentine art schools of the time into one public art school: the Academy of Fine Arts. The buildings formerly hosting the Hospital of San Matteo and the Convent of San Niccolò di Cafaggio were restructured – ready to be the new school's venue. So what was the idea behind this venture? The main idea was to provide young women and men with a place to practise their artistic talent – enabling them to study and copy existing plaster casts, preparatory drawings and paintings. So you could say that the Museum's core collection was collated for an educational purpose.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the Accademia Gallery is not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Accademia Gallery (Via Ricasoli, 58/60 50122 Florence, Italy). The easiest way to get there is to stop at the Battisti San Marco bus station and walk to your left along the Via Ricasoli till you reach the entrance of the Accademia Gallery. The tour ends at the entrance of the Accademia Gallery (Via Ricasoli, 58/60 50122 Florence, Italy) near the Battisti San Marco bus station.
Michelangelo’s David/ Stradivari Tenor Viola/ Botticelli’s Virgin Mary with the Baby, St. John the Baptist and Angels
Recommended visiting hours
Tuesday – Sunday
8:15 am to 6:50 pm (last admission at 6:20 pm).
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Accademia Gallery are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- Each of the halls and the galleries of the Accademia Gallery are wheelchair accessible.
- Entrance to the Accademia Gallery is free for all visitors under 18 years old and visitors with certified disability.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- All visitors are required to go through security inspection
- The Museum does not have a cloakroom, therefore visitors with large bags and backpacks, helmets, etc. will not be allowed to enter.
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!