Waltz in the Piazza del Duomo and the Leaning Tower of Pisa with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into one of the most iconic landmarks of Pisa. Start your tour at the Porta Nuova, the entrance to the Piazza del Duomo.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Piazza del Duomo at your own pace with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the Leaning Tower of Pisa or any of the other monuments in the Piazza del Duomo is not included.
The New Gate
The gate that you are about to go through is called New because it was drilled into the preexisting mediaeval walls in 1562 by Cosimo I de Medici of Florence. Pisa at the time was already annexed by the Republic of Florence. Its use as the main entrance into the Piazza dei Miracoli quickly eclipsed the two previously used gates: the gate of Santa Maria and the gate of the Lion, which were part of the original twelfth-century fortifications. The Lion Gate can be seen to the left of the cemetery, known as the Camposanto, once you have the chance to wander around in the Piazza. Other than just providing access to the Piazza del Duomo, the Porta Nuova is also one of four gates into the city of Pisa itself.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance ticket to the Leaning Tower of Pisa (Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites or churches are not included.)
- Live guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Entrance – Porta Nuova
Directions to starting point
The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Porta Nuova in the Piazza del Duomo, where the Leaning Tower is located (Piazza del Duomo, 9, 56126 Pisa PI, Italy). The easiest way to get there is on foot from the city centre or by bus. A number of buses (LAM rossa, serving the airport and central train station, Linea 21 and others) drop you off at the Torre 1 bus stop, slightly to the left of the Porta Nuova.
The tour ends at the iron gates that open into Via Cardinale Pietro Maffi. This road leads straight back into the old town of Pisa, and is easily walkable.
Recommended visiting hours
Ticket/entrance fee to the Leaning Tower of Pisa or any of the other monuments in the Piazza del Duomo is not included.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the Leaning Tower of Pisa and any of the other monuments in the Piazza del Duomo are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR/AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100—150 MB)
- This tour is suitable for all ages.
- The monuments at the Piazza del Duomo are wheelchair accessible. Prior consultation is required for gaining access to the Leaning Tower.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones.
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site. Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to enjoy it fully
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- There is a cloakroom on site, which can be used only by those with tickets to the Tower
- Comfortable shoes are recommended, as some areas may be slippery
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
Contributors and Bibliography
1: © iPhone Photography/ Commons Wikimedia
7: © Mstyslav Chernov / Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!