From per person
Experience the Orange Roman Theatre and Museum at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience not only the prestige and reputation of Orange Roman Theater but also the life of glorious periods through museum’s masterpieces.
Put on your headphones and discover the history and architecture of the Roman Theatre and Orange and fascinating facts for the Sphinx statue, the Vespasian inscription,and the paintings of 19th-century artists through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient and modern times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the art and culture of Orange from the Roman period till the beginning of the 20th century and relate to the exhibits in an entirely original way.
So many doors!
Our attention is drawn to the row of doors on the first level. Tried counting how many there are? Yes, no less than 17 – each with a specific role. The three square doors in the centre lead directly to the stage. The valva regia (royal door) in the middle was used by the main actors, and the valvoe hospitals (guest doors) on either side were for the other artists. Twelve of the remaining doors allowed access to the postcaenium, a closed area behind the stage. The two doors on the farthest ends gave entry to the basilicae and parascaenia rooms on either side of the stage, which led to the cavea, where visitors could take shelter from bad weather!
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the Roman Theatre and Museum of Orange
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Statue of Emperor Augustus | Stage (Proscenium) of Roman Theatre | Acroterion mask of Hercules | Acroterion mask of Hercules
Opening hours for The Roman Theatre and Museum of Orange
Recommended visiting hours
November – February: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
March – May: 9 am – 6 pm
June – August: 9 am – 7 pm
September – October: 9:30 am – 5:30 pm
MUSEUM OF ART AND HISTORY
November- February: 9:45 am – 12 pm / 1 pm – 4:30 pm
March: 9:45 am – 5:30 pm
April – May: 9:15 am – 6 pm
June – August: 9.15 am – 7 pm
September: 9:15am – 6pm
October: 9:45 am – 5:30 pm
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Roman Theatre and Museum of Orange.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300 MB).
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The Roman Theatre is not wheelchair accessible.
- The Museum of Orange is partially wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- The City of Orange offers 2 hours free parking in the underground car park of the Roman Theatre (Cours Pourtoules).
- Pets on a lead are allowed in the outdoor areas only (excluding the museum).
Contributors and Bibliography
1-8. © Estelle Vernet
9-27. © Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!