$ 10,69 per person
Uncover the best sights & stories in the oldest quarter of Bucharest. A city marked by many wars/occupations/fires/earthquakes/plagues & violent regimes, with plenty of interesting things to discover. Learn about the bloody times of Dracula, why Bucharest was regarded as the Paris of the East, and some of the most popular restaurants & dishes.
Waltz in the city of Bucharest with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Bucharest. Start your tour from Saint Anthony Square and continue to meet Manuc’s Inn, get acquainted with The Old Princely Court, and be fascinated by Calea Victoriei.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace the city tour of Bucharest with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
The legend of the city founder
Welcome to the Old Town. Dating back to the Middle Ages, it’s the oldest enclave of Bucharest. The city as we know it today is a metropolis of over 2 million people. However, back in the 14th century, it was an area covered by thick forests, green pastures and crossed by a small river, called Dambovita. According to legend, the river was so named after the daughter of Bucur, a local shepherd. One day, he was attacked by invaders who kidnapped his daughter, the beautiful Dambovita. Bucur, alongside some friends, bravely chased them for hundreds of miles, all the way to the frozen waters of Dnieper river. The captors tried to cross the icy river, but it shattered and they drowned. Fortunately, Bucur's daughter could swim, and she was pulled out of the icy water. After returning home, to honor his courageous deeds, the place where Bucur lived was renamed after him - Bucuresti - the city of Bucur.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Charged smartphone, headphones, (comfortable shoes, hat & sunscreen)
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Saint Anthony Square (Piața George Enescu, București 030167, Romania)
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Bd. Nicolae Bălcescul bus stop (Strada C. A. Rosetti, București, Romania) which is 260 meters from the square.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for any museums, archaeological sites, or churches are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
- This is a city tour therefore it is wheelchair accessible, please note that some points of interest might not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Central: © jaime.silva / Flickr
Stop 1: © shankar s. / Flickr
Stop 2: © Istvan / Flickr
Stop 7: © Ava Babili / Flickr
Stop 8: © CARPATHIANLAND / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 9: © Dimitris Kamaras / Flickr
Stop 14: © Dimitris Kamaras / Flickr
Stop 15: © Dimitris Kamaras / Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!