Rhodes City Tour: The city of the knights
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
English, Deutsch, Español, Français, ItalianoFor both audio and stories included
Once upon a time, the gods drew lots for the places of the earth. Helios was busy and received nothing. But, he noticed Rhodes about to rise from the sea. He fell in love with the island, lay with it, and produced seven sons. This affair echoes through the centuries as several nations desired Rhodes and decorated with monuments that will amaze you.
Waltz in Rhodes city and discover the most beautiful and worth visiting sites with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the captivating history of the island. Start your tour from the Rhodes Aquarium, one of the best attractions of the island, and then continue to explore the best sites of Rhodes city, feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace this beautiful and picturesque city of the island, and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
A buck and a doe guard the entrance of the harbour of Mandraki. The two bronze statues sit atop slim columns. According to medieval legends this is where the famous Colossus of Rhodes once stood. This massive bronze statue of the Greek sun-god Helios was considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It was constructed by the Greek sculptor Chares of Lindos to celebrate a Rhodian victory against an invader in 305 BCE. It rose to a height of 33 metres (108 feet) and took twelve years to complete at the enormous cost of 300 talents. The Rhodians sold the siege engines of their enemy to realize the money for the project. The Roman author Pliny the Elder claims that few people could make their arms meet around the thumb of Colossus, whose fingers were larger than most whole statues.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance fees/tickets to sites
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The easiest way is to get there on foot or by car
Palazzo del Governo
The Catholic Church of San Giovanni
Bronze deer at the harbour (Mandraki Marina)
Fort of Saint Nicholas
Gate of Saint Paul
The Street of the Knights
The Palace of the Grand Master
You can have this tour anytime.
Recommended visiting hours
It is recommended to have the tour before sunset.
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included.
- Please consider that admission fees are not included in the price.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB).
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak outdoors. Download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to avoid connectivity issues and enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline
- Ensure you have a fully charged device and earphones/headphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Traveler are advised to wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
Image contributors ©:
Stop 1: https://www.reddit.com/r/AccidentalWesAnderson/comments/bkx1kz/the_aquarium_of_rhodes_greece/
Stop 2: https://www.greece-is.com/architecture-how-mussolini-and-the-italian-occupation-shaped-rhodes/
Stop 3: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_del_Governatore_(Rodi)
Stop 4: http://www.yerolymbos.com/corporate/italian-architecture-dodecanese/italian-architecture-dodecanese-yerolymbos-21/
Stop 5: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rhodes_Cathedral_face.jpg
Stop 6: https://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/Greece/South_Aegean/Dodekanisos/Rhodes/photo730479.htm
Stop 7: https://viagallica.com/grece/lang_en/fort_saint_nicolas.htm ©2009 Dominique Maillot
Stop 8: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bronze_deer,_Rhodes_01.jpg ©Bernard Gagnon
Stop 9: https://www.apotis4stis5.com/vintage/30323-rodos-to-nhsi-twn-ippotwn
Stop 10: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeological_Museum_of_Rhodes
Stop 11: https://www.medievaltown.gr/item/marine-gate/
Stop 12: https://viagallica.com/grece/lang_en/quartier_turc_rhodes.htm
Stop 13: https://www.discovergreece.com/experiences/exploring-medieval-old-town-rhodes
Stop 14: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Palace_of_the_Grand_Masters_of_Rhodes_-_Main_courtyard.jpg
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!