Travel to the dawn of history with the mythical tales of Homer and visit the citadel of Mycenae accompanied by a self-guided audio tour on your phone.
Your tour begins at the entrance of the archaeological site, where, upon encountering the massive Cyclopean walls of Mycenae, you will listen to the fascinating tales about its construction by one-eyed giants. The mythical founding of the city is equally surprising and so are the stories of its kings and queens. The crime of Tantalus, the progenitor of the royal family is nothing less but an omen of the curse which befell the House of Atreus. Gear yourself up for all the terrible events you are going to learn about once you walk below the imposing Lion Gate of the Mycenaean citadel!
As you experience the site, feeling its pervasive mysterious aura, you will follow in the footsteps of its early inhabitants. Your audio guide will shed light upon various aspects of daily life, fashion, eating habits and funerary traditions of a civilization lost in prehistory. Your tour, finally, culminates with the massive beehive tomb, once believed to be the burial site of King Agamemnon. There you will admire its jaw-dropping tholos and learn about the king’s murder by his vengeful queen, the notorious Clytemnestra!
When back from Mycenae, you will know for good that myths are not always children stories and that sometimes archaeological findings, before unearthed, were washed in blood!
Myceane, entrance to the acropolis
- Entrance fee to the archaeological site of Mycenae, the Museum & the Treasury of Atreus
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- There is no internet access in archaeological site & the mobile signal is weak
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the archaeological site of Mycenae, the Museum & the Treasury of Atreus are not included
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- Please book per device to be used, not per participant
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours with instructions for your audio tour
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to enjoy it offline
- The audio tour can be used repeatedly both online and offline.
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required. (Windows phones are not compatible with the app)
- Please ensure you have enough storage space. (required size for the app & tour: 100-150 MB)
- Kindly note that the archaeological site of Mycenae and the Treasury of Atreus are two separate archaeological sites and the latter is located a mere 10-minute walk away. Visitors taking the tour will first explore the archaeological site and then they shall continue to visit the Treasury of Atreus
- Please consider that the audio tour covers the areas of the archaeological site and the Treasury of Atreus. It doesn’t include a tour of the museum
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during the hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
- Ensure you have a fully charged device and earphones/headphones
08:00-17:00 & from 01-01-2021 08:00-15:30
1st September-15th September : 08:00-19:30
16th September-30th September : 08:00-19:00
1st October-15th October : 08:00-18:30
16th October-31th October : 08:00-18:00
Good Friday: 12.00-17.00 Holy Saturday: 08.30-16.00
November-March: 6 euro April-October: 12 euro
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
By clicking "Add to cart", you are purchasing this tour in English. This tour is also available in the following languages: Ελληνικά.