$ 8,55 per person
Waltz in the historical dark days of The Communist Legacy in Bucharest with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the most iconic landmarks of Bucharest’s Communistic period. Start your tour from the Royal Palace, the last “fortress” of the royal family of Romania and let history unfold before your eyes, through the city’s most iconic landmarks from the communist period.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace “dark Romania” under Nikolae Ceausescu and the Communists’ rule with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to any museum, archaeological site, or church is not included.
The Monarchy in Romania
After Romania became independent from the Ottoman Empire in 1877, Prince Carol was crowned its first king. Carol's birth name was Karl Eitel Friedrich Zephyrinus Ludwig, and he belonged to a German royal family, the Hohenzollern - Sigmaringen. Carol had already been ruling Romania as Prince since 1866, thus he was chosen as ruler in an attempt to end the vicious infighting among local nobility for power, and to gain the respect of the Western Powers. Once Carol could officially be crowned king of Romania in 1881, he established a royal dynasty here that would have ties to the most important European dynasties. Carol died in 1914 after 48 successful years, during which Bucharest was transformed from a poor provincial town into a city, dubbed by many ‘The Paris of the East’. Carol was succeeded by three more kings: Ferdinand (1914-1927), Carol II (1930-1940) and Mihai (1927-1930, then again 1940-1947).
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entrance tickets to museums, institutions, or churches are not included.
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Royal Palace, Calea Victoriei 49-53, București 010063. The easiest way to get there is through the Universitate metro station. Exit the metro station and follow the Bulevardul Nicolae Bălcescu till the cross section with the Strada Ion Campineanu. Follow Strada Ion Campineanu till you find Calea Victoriei.
The Union of Architects building/ The Palace of the Parliament/ The Rebirth Memorial
Recommended visiting hours
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees to any museum, archaeological site, or church are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone, accessible through our app. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Check your spam folder as well
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Note that some of the points of interest may not be wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please wear sunscreen and a hat during hot summer months
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes, suitable for walking.
Contributors and Bibliography
© Adina Mihoc
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!