Berlin City Tour: The heart of Mitteleuropa
Self-guided audio tourFollow the story at your own pace
EnglishFor both audio and stories included
Along the banks of the river Spree are the vivid traces and remnants of Berlin’s long history since its foundation, from the Kingdom of Prussia, to the Weimar Republic, to the Third Reich to the rise and fall of the Berlin Wall. Berlin is the city of palaces, daring modern architecture and verdant gardens. Let the tour begin!
Waltz in Berlin and discover the most beautiful and emblematic sites with a self-guided audio tour on your phone designed by an accredited expert. Listen to fascinating stories, based on an award-winning storytelling concept, and gain great insights into the captivating history of the capital of Germany. Start your tour from Alexanderplatz, home to some of Berlin’s iconic sights, and then continue to explore the best sites of Berlin, feeling like a local. This is an unmissable opportunity to experience at your own pace this beautiful and historical capital, and find out the hidden corners of it with a captivating audio tour on your phone.
* * Ticket/entrance fee to the museums or other sites is not included.
Cover photo: © dronepicr / Common Wikimedia
Light and dark
From the beginning of Berlin’s history, the area that today is Alexanderplatz was close to a place of execution which featured a set of gallows. Because of that, it was known as Teufels Lustgarten, the 'devil’s pleasure garden', a frightening nickname which, however, did not stop the area from developing into a busy commercial square. Its name changed when it was dedicated to Russian Tsar Alexander I, who visited Berlin at the beginning of the 19th century. The newly-named Alexanderplatz went on to become the hub of Berlinese nightlife in the Roaring Twenties, brimming with lights and music, until, that is, the start of the Second World War. During the last stages of the Battle of Berlin, Alexanderplatz was bombed by the Red Army, and the public transport tunnels running under the square were also detonated (this time by the Wehrmacht, attempting to slow the Red Army’s advance). The process of reconstruction lasted almost twenty years from the end of the war, since debris and ruins had to be cleared out before new construction works could begin.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English.
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Link to activate and access your audio tour
- Entrance fee to the museums, churches, and monuments
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Alexanderplatz, Nikolaiviertel, Museumsinsel, Berliner Dom, Reichstag building, Brandenburg Gate, Pariser Platz, Holocaust-Mahnmal, Gendarmenmarkt, Checkpoint Charlie
Recommended visiting hours
It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
The entrance ticket for museums, churches or other attractions is not included.
Know before you book
- Please consider that admission fees for the museums, churches, and monuments are not included.
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app).
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with important audio instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB).
Know before you go
- Receive an email from the local supplier with important audio instructions. Check your spam folder as well.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes and hat or sunscreen (during spring and summer)
- It is better to have the tour before the sunset and preferably in the morning.
Contributors and Bibliography
- Image Credits:
Stop 1: ©Fred Romero / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 2: ©Gryffindor / wikidata.org
Stop 3: ©Thomas Wolf, www.foto-tw.de / wikipedia.org
Stop 4: ©Thomas Wolf, www.foto-tw.de / wikipedia.org
Stop 5: ©Matthew Field, http://www.photography.mattfield.com / wikipedia.org
Stop 6: ©Pierre-Selim Huard / wikipedia.org
Stop 7: @Manfred Brückels / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 8: ©Txalapartari / Commons Wikimedia
Stop 9: ©AndreHuppertz / wikidata.org
Stop 10: ©Adrian Purser / Commons Wikimedia
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!