From $ 22,46 per person
Your Personal Adventure: Experience the Jerónimos Monastery at your own pace with an entry ticket and a fascinating self-guided audio tour!
Listen and Admire:
- The Tomb of Fernando Pessoa
- The Church of Santa Maria de Belém
- The Tomb of Luís de Camões
- The Drawings of João de Castilho
Explore Through Locals’ Eyes: This is a great opportunity to gain valuable insights into the construction’s history and the architectural wonders of the Jerónimos Monastery and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way. The tour’s content is squeezed into brief original stories from professional local authors that will make your visit memorable.
Extra Tip: The monastery is surrounded by beautiful gardens and green spaces. Take a walk through the gardens and enjoy the serene atmosphere.
The Chapel of Saint Mary of Bethlehem
Just west of this spot is the neighborhood of Restelo. Centuries ago this was a small village in its own right, from where Portuguese Caravel ships departed. Restelo was also home to a small chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary. In the 1400s, it was enlarged as devotion to it grew. You see, Mary was the protector of sailors. It was there, on the beaches of Belém that King Manuel I decided to found a great monastery – one which symbolized an expanding Christian Empire, as well as his own royal prowess.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to Jerónimos Monastery
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Jerónimos Monastery (Praça do Império 1400-206 Lisboa). The easiest way to get there is to take public transport. You get the local train from Cais do Sodre or the tram 15 (stop Belem)
Opening hours for Jerónimos Monastery
Recommended visiting hours
October to April: 10.00 – 17:30
May to September: 10.00 – 18:30
The attractions start to close 30 minutes before the closing time.
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Jerónimos Monastery
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The Monastery is wheelchair accessible
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Off-shoulder tops and dresses are not recommended. Ensure that you cover your shoulders at all times on your visit to the monastery.
- It is recommended not to wear knee-high shorts. Your knees must be covered inside the monastery.
- Wear comfortable shoes
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.