Experience at your own pace the Vatican Museums & the Sistine Chapel. Get this skip the line e-ticket combined with an immersive self-guided audio tour on your smartphone. Receive your ticket by email, download the audio tour on your smartphone and enjoy a hassle-free visit in one of the world’s busiest attractions. Set out on a riveting journey through religious history and art.
Starting your tour, you’ll enjoy the marvelous view and enter the pinecone courtyard. Once you’ve marveled at the alluring beauty of the bronze pinecone statue, you will re-enter the Museums to enjoy a fascinating tour throughout the centuries.
You’ll explore sites of mesmerizing beauty. Some of them are the Greek Cross Room, the Gallery of the Candelabras, Raphael’s Rooms, the Gallery of the Maps, the Gallery of Tapestries, and the contemporary art apartments among many more. Also, the Sistine Chapel, where you’ll marvel at Michelangelo’s masterpiece “The Creation of Adam”.
This product offers an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the exhibits, through an engrossing storytelling concept, combined with fast-track entry to the Vatican Museums.
The Space between the fingers
«I’m a sculptor, not a painter!» cried Michelangelo upon being given the task of painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. The troubled artist had to engage in an almost 5-year endeavor with the fresco technique, which he was not familiar with, and present in nine panels the story of Genesis: the creation of the universe, of man, and man after the fall. In the central panel, Adam is in a reclined position sitting in mud, showing us how he is receiving life from his Creator God. Yet one leg is also bent, as if Adam is ready to get up. All of the figures in the ceiling seem to swirl around the two fingers, one of Adam, and one of God, that are not touching. After receiving everything from God, Adam has the option to unite himself with his Creator. And what will the result be? The unoccupied space between the two figures represents our freedom of choice, for Adam represents every man, who is able to respond in his own free will.
Select date and participants
Contributors and Bibliography
Tour author: Ami Badami
I am an internal and authorized tour guide for the Vatican, Vatican City Europe, and professional artist. In the mornings I take people through Michelangelo’s masterpieces….the evenings, embark on my own artistic journey.
Viale Vaticano, 100, 00192 Roma RM, Italy
- Adult entry ticket for the Vatican Museums & the Sistine Chapel
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone and an entry ticket for the Vatican Museums & the Sistine Chapel
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- You will receive an email with important ticket & audio instructions
- Booking requests received between 22:00 to 7:59 (UTC+02:00) are served from 8:00 a.m. and on
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free/reduced admission tickets can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site
- It’s mandatory to provide all participants’ full names during the booking process in order to issue the skip-the-line e-tickets for the Vatican Museums
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit – no wifi/4G on-site
- Tickets need to be either printed or downloaded on your phone
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- All visitors need to arrive at least 30 minutes in advance to go through the security check-in. Late arrivals will not be accommodated
- Proceed to the special entrance for online reservations, located on the right side of the main north entrance. You will need to present your ticket and ID
- Shoulders and knees must be covered to comply with the Vatican dress code
- The Vatican Museums welcome an average of 27 m visitors. Delays may occur even for pre-booked visitors, but this is still the speediest entry to the Museums
- Monday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The entrance doors close at 4:00 p.m. Last Entrance into the Sistine Chapel is 5:30 p.m.
- The last Sunday of the month the Museums are free (not recommended to visit at this time).
- From April to October, the Vatican is also open in the evenings from 7-11 p.m. Some sections, however, such as the Pinacoteca, are closed.
- Closed: on Sundays and religious holidays
Directions to Starting Point
- The Vatican Museums entrance is accessible from Viale Vaticano 00165 Roma RM, Italy on the northern side of the city state.
- Metro: Line A, Ottaviano-S. Pietro Station
- Bus: 40, 64, 62, 81, stop Viale Vaticano/ Musei Vaticani
- Tram: 19 to Piazza Risorgimento
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.