Naxos tour: The medieval castle town is a remarkably detailed tour of the old town of Naxos, the largest island of the Cyclades. Discover credible and original stories about this gifted island written by top local professionals after extended research. Take your tour now and enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
In the aftermath of the Fourth Crusade (1204) the Venetian Marco Sanudo conquered the Cyclades and established his seat in Naxos, from where he ruled his tiny empire. As a result, the old town is a rich mosaic of Venetian mansions, churches, monasteries, and defence structures, standing alongside ancient Greek and Byzantine monuments.
The tour begins at the impressive and unforgettably picturesque Portara, the entrance to Apollo’s temple that seems to rise from the sea on a rocky promontory. When you have had your fill with the amazing view, follow the mole back towards the town of Naxos and allow yourself to be transported back in time, as you wander the labyrinthine alleys of the Venetian suburbs and castle. As you enter and exit the castle doors, you will learn all about the island’s Venetian and Ottoman past, encounter picturesque churches, the Archaeological Museum and the Capuchin convent with the marble coat of arms depicting the monastery founder praying before the Holy Cross, the Jewish quarter with its many stories of the difficult relationship between the Jews and Christians of Naxos, as well as the Sanudo tower that once served as the keep of the Duchal palace. The tour eventually brings you back to the harbour and the charming whitewashed chapel of Panagia Myrtidiotissa, standing proudly on an islet in the middle of the harbour.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR/ AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!