Lasithi: Signs and Wonders, The Minoan Path Tour is a fascinating self-guided audio tour in the countryside of Lasithi in Crete. Discover credible and original stories written by top local professionals after extended research. Take your tour now and enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
It’s a tour like no other since you are always running the risk of coming across a monster foraging or hunting. After all, the countryside of Crete is colourful and enchanting; the rocky hills, home to the giant fennel, the peonies, and the Cretan dittany, are also the playground of some unexpected dwellers. If you are lucky, you may catch a glimpse of the fleeting shadow of a griffon or Minoan genii, as you climb one of Crete’s best preserved Minoan trails.
The Lasithi plateau is the largest plateau in Crete. It is roughly oval in shape and stretches 11 km (6.8 mi) in the east-west direction. There are 17 villages with 2000 year-round residents. The plateau lies at an average altitude of 840 m (2,760 ft). Heavy snowfall is frequent in the wintertime and snow can persist until mid-spring. The olive tree does not grow naturally on the plateau, where the climate is different from the typical Mediterranean climate that prevails in Crete.
To enter the plateau you are encouraged to follow the famous Minoan Path. After all, when in Crete do as the Minoans did. This winding path allows you to walk on the footsteps of the island’s prehistoric inhabitants and enjoy the same views, plants, and wild animals they did. It is perhaps as close as you can get to an authentic Minoan / Cretan experience.
Τhis tour combines information on incredible and unique plants of the Cretan countryside with stories from the inexhaustible imagination of the ancient Minoans, who populated their island with the most fascinating cast of monsters and elusive creatures. You will come face to face with the terrifying Minotaur; the griffin who skills as a hunter remain unsurpassed; Talos, a giant made of bronze entrusted with the safety of the island of Crete; the elegant bird-ladies; and the Minoan genii, bizarre creatures feared by beasts and men alike.
Cultural Mapping is an ATHINA Educational Network initiative (www.athinaedunet.org). Minoan Routes integrate myth, history, and tradition to highlight aspects of life in prominent focal points of Minoan Crete.
Oropedio Lasithiou, Crete
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Daily from sunrise to sunset
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
By clicking "Add to cart", you are purchasing this tour in English. This tour is also available in the following languages: Ελληνικά.