From per person
Experience Florence at your own pace with a pre-booked e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone. Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of Santa Croce, the Temple of the Italian Glories and Florence, the city of arts and…Lillies.
Put on your headphones and explore Santa Croce through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times till the marvelous present of the city of Florence and its top attractions. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the amazing story of Santa Croce, Michelangelo’s last residence as well as the city of Florence, within and beyond the Renaissance and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
The square and the Basilica are located just outside the 12th century city walls, a choice common for new religious orders, such as the Franciscans, founded by St. Francis at the beginning of the 13th century. The monks used to build their monasteries in isolated areas away from cities, making a living from their funds and production. At the same time, given the demographic expansion of Middle Age cities, the mission of these “new” friars was to support people in the new poor districts; the Franciscans chose to build the convent in one of those suburban areas. That’s the underlying reason for the square’s width: the creation of a big area that could host a crowd listening to sermons. The Franciscans were called mendicants because they lived thanks to donations from the people they helped.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to Santa Croce
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point.
- The Santa Croce self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Basilica’s Square (50122 Florence, Metropolitan City of Florence, Italy). The easiest way to get there is by the Verdi bus stop (50122 Florence, Metropolitan City of Florence, Italy) and walk 170 meters towards the square.
- The Florence City Tour self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Galleria dell’Academia at Via Ricasoli 58/60 50129 Firenze, Italy. The easiest way to get there is to ride the 23A(to Sogdane) or the 14A(to Il Girone) bus line to Santissima Annunziata bus station and, then, walk for about 2 mins to reach your destination.
Francesco Nori’s Tomb / Donatello’s Crucifix / The Medici Chapel / Santa Maria del Fiore/ Piazza della Signoria/ Galleria degli Uffizi
Opening hours for Santa Croce
Recommended visiting hours
Santa Croce: From Monday to Saturday
No further admission after 5.00 pm
9.30 am – 5.30 pm
Sunday and Religious Holidays
Epiphany (6 January), Assumption (15 August), All Saints (1 November), Immaculate Conception (8 December).
No further admission after 5.00 pm
12.30 pm – 5.45 pm
Know before you book
- This is a combination of two downloadable self-guided audio tours for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for Santa Croce.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300MB).
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Free/reduced admission tickets can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The ticket is valid for 24h and for one entrance.
- The tours are suitable for all ages.
- People with disabilities and their carers are admitted to Santa Croce free of charge.
- The nave and aisles of the basilica in Santa Croce are wheelchair accessible. The rest of the complex is partially wheelchair accessible.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tours while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please note that the dress code is strictly enforced at the Santa Croce. Shoulders must be covered and men must wear long trousers while women must not have skirts shorter than knee length
- Animals are not allowed in the complex of Santa Croce. Visitors with impaired sight or hearing who use guide-dogs are kindly requested to produce a statutory declaration.
- Souvenir photography in Santa Croce is permitted without a tripod or a flash, and strictly for private use only.
- The entrance for people with mobility issues to Santa Croce is either via the ramp at the side of the basilica or via the raised platform at the entrance to the cloister on Piazza Santa Croce.
- For the Florence City Tour visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking.
- For the Florence City Tour visitors are advised to wear sunscreen and a hat during hot summer months.
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!