From per person
Experience the St.Mark’s Basilica at your own pace with a pre-booked e-ticket and an engaging self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of Saint Mark’s Basilica
Put on your headphones and explore the western facade, the dome of the Pentecost, the Baptistery and the High Altar through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into (the Proclamation stone and relate to your surroundings/ the exhibits in an entirely original way.
The Saint’s arrival
After a dangerous sea voyage, the intrepid merchants and their precious cargo arrived in Venice. Everyone from the Doge, his court, the bishop, the clergy, and the people came to welcome the ship and Saint Mark to their city with great pomp and ceremony. Having no appropriate site to keep the holy relic, they placed the remains in a corner of the Ducal palace until a proper basilica could be erected. It was not long before the new church was ready. It was later said that the body of Saint Mark was placed in the new basilica on January 31, 829. This holy shrine quickly became one of the most famous sanctuaries in Christendom and attracted pilgrims from all over Europe.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the Saint Mark’s Basilica
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Entry ticket to the Saint Mark’s Museum
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Basilica di San Marco (P.za San Marco, 328, 30100 Venezia VE, Italy). The easiest way to get there is by the train station Santa Lucia, by taking the water-bus ride 51 direct line.
The western facade (upper half) / Under the dome of the Ascension / Capital of the crucifix
Opening hours for Saint Mark's Basilica
- Monday - Sunday: - (last admission: )
Recommended visiting hours
You can visit St Mark Basilica from 9.30am (Sunday and Solemnities ‘of precept’ from 2pm) to 5.15pm (free for children up to 6 years of age), with the possibility to see also the Pala d’Oro (free for children up to 6 years of age) and the Museum – Loggia dei Cavalli ( free for children up to 6 years of age).
On Sunday morning, from 9.30am to 2pm, you can visit only the Museum – Loggia dei Cavalli
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Saint Mark’s Basilica
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The Basilica as well as the Museum are wheelchair accessible
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Please note that the dress code is strictly enforced at St Mark’s Basilica. Shoulders must be covered and men must wear long trousers while women must not have skirts shorter than knee length
- You cannot enter the Basilica with luggages.
- You should always use your earphones since loud explanations are forbidden
- Professional and non-private use photographing and filming is forbidden
Contributors and Bibliography
© Clio Muse Tours
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!