From per person
Founded by Perseus, Mycenae, the most important kingdom of the Late Bronze Age, was known for its riches and power. Yet, it is also famous for the tragic destiny of its royal family. Follow in the footsteps of Agamemnon, the glorious king who caused his own doom thousands of years ago right here, over the celebrated ruins of Mycenae.
Experience the archaeological site of Mycenae and the museum at your own pace with an e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of Mycenae
Put on your headphones and discover the famous Lion Gate, the Cyclopean Walls as well as the Palace, and then continue to explore the archaeological Museum of Mycenae that houses exquisite artifacts found in the complex, through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from a glorious ancient period. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the glory, the rise and the fall of Mycenae and relate to the exhibits in an entirely original way.
Scabbards and Mushrooms
Once upon a time, there was a demi-god named Perseus, son of Zeus and Danae. He had earned quite a reputation as a hero, for he had managed to kill the famous Medusa and save princess Andromeda from a ferocious sea serpent. They were married and upon their arrival to Greece, Perseus participated in a sports contest, during which he threw the discus with such force that he killed his grandfather. Full of regrets, he exchanged his kingdom, Argos, with the lands of his cousin Megapenthes. When he arrived here, his scabbard, myces in Greek, fell on the ground, which was seen as a sign that a city should be founded, a city called Mycenae. A different story claims that Perseus found here a mushroom, also myces in Greek, and drank with joy the sweet water flowing from within. Be that as it may, Perseus ruled Mycenae for a great many years. The gods were kind to his family, for his great grandson Hercules would continue the glorious tradition of Perseus’ house.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to Mycenae (archaeological site and museum)
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point. The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the archaeological site of Mycenae (212 00, Mykines, Prefecture of Argolida.)
Directions to starting point
The easiest way to get there is by car.
Winter: From November 1st until March 31st: 08:30-15:30
Summer: From April 1st until October 31st : 08:00-20:00
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for Myceanae (archaeological site & museum)
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have pre-booking privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- The Museum of Mycenae is wheelchair accessible.
- The archaeological site of Mycenae is not wheelchair-accessible or easily accessible to people with mobility difficulties.
- Due to the location of the archaeological site, it is recommended to leave the strollers at the entrance.
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes and hat or sunscreen (during spring and summer)
- Luggages are not allowed in the archaeological site
- Large backpacks and bulky bags are not allowed in the Museum.
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!