Neo-Gothic Athens tour: Medieval mystery
A neo-gothic self-guided audio tour in Athens with credible mystery & original stories that will certainly amaze you! Take your tour now & enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
“Medieval mystery in Neo-Gothic Athens” offers an insider’s look into a city most people do not know that it exists at all. Athens is famous for its classical monuments and the unsurpassed richness of its ancient past. But if you look closely, you will realize there is another Athens, mysterious, dark, and slightly spooky. The Europeans, who settled here in the 1830s, brought with them the architectural tradition of western Europe and erected churches, mansions, and private residences in a distinct Neo-gothic style, reminiscent of the bleak Scottish highlands or the dark forests of Central Europe.
This tour begins at the Ilisia Mansion, home to the Duchess of Placentia. She was strong-headed, persistent, and determined. She spent her fortune trying to help the Greeks of her adopted homeland, but she was never able to fully recover from the loss of her daughter. She kept her mummified body for ten years, before losing everything in a disastrous conflagration. The Anglican church is home to the hearts of British and American officers and soldiers, who fought in the Second World War in Greece. The memorial plaques on the walls create an aura of mysticism and reverential peace that contrasts sharply with the noise and life of the streets outside. will take you past the information available on traditional guides or information panels.
On the other side of downtown Athens, in Metaxourgeio, almost next to the ancient cemetery is the Neo-Romanesque church dedicated to Saint George, who killed the dragon and saved the daughter of the king. The Mavromihalis’ Tower stands proudly with its pointed arches and battlements. It belonged to Ilias Mavromihalis, adjutant to King Otto and saviour of the Duchess of Placentia and her daughter Eliza, when the two women almost drowned in a river. Finally, the Patission Tower was built in 1914 by a merchant who had a profound interest in the study of coats of arms and insignia. As it lies half-abandoned, it has given rise to numerous stories of witches and spirits that inhabit its dark rooms.
Vivi Zografou is a journalist, photographer and author of a traveler’s guide entitled “Dark Attica”.
Byzantine And Christian Museum
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Kolonaki, Metaxourgeio, Vathi, Amerikis
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.