Mani: The gates of Hades Tour is a fascinating self-guided audio tour in the southern Mani were it was once believed to be the entrance point to Hades. Discover credible and original stories written by top local professionals after extended research. Take your tour now and enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
The tour takes you to the southern part of Mani, a region related to the underworld. According to the ancient belief, Cape Tainaro (at the end of the Mani peninsula) was the entrance point to Hades. The area’s geophysical topography, the arid landscape and the imposingness of the rocky cliffs contribute to the myth and create the appropriate scenery.
Tigani Castle may or may not be the famous castle of Megali Maini, the famous Frankish fortification that helped the Franks control large parts of the Peloponnese. What really impresses the visitor is the large number of cisterns. According to tradition there were 365 of them, one for each day of the year. Kita is well-known as a village-fortress where the first war towers appeared in an effort to protect the local lords and the population from the marauding Turks. Killing for honor was an integral part of Mani’s daily routine, especially in Kιta but there were strict rules about which homicide was acceptable, proving that in this rugged part of Mani even murderers lived by the rules. The settlement of Vathia somehow managed to lose all of its inhabitants as a result of the isolation and the inaccessibility of the place, in addition with the “vendettas” and the assassinations of the male inhabitants.
Τhe tour ends at the temple of Poseidon in Cape Tainaro. According to the ancient tradition, this was the entrance to Hades. Poseidon was worshiped as the god of the underworld and not of the sea, while with the advent of Christianity the temple was rededicated to Archangel Michael, who took over the job of escorting the souls of the Christians to the underworld.
historistai is a cultural Group of Public History aiming at the creation of aesthetically upgraded history projects with applications at education, tourism, and culture.
Pan Castle, Tigani, Itilo
- Self-guided tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR/ AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
South Mani, Gerolimenas, Porto Kagio, Cape Tenaro
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
By clicking "Add to cart", you are purchasing this tour in English. This tour is also available in the following languages: Ελληνικά.