Visit the Palace of Knossos with a pre-booked e-ticket combined with a self-guided audio tour on your smartphone. Enjoy a hassle-free visit to the grand capital of Minoan Crete, located 5 km south of Iraklion. The evocative setting and the impressive ruins of the palace, courtyards, private apartments, baths, storehouses, as well as the brightly-coloured frescoes, come alive through an engaging narrative that sheds light upon various elements of Minoan culture.
The cup bearers and procession frescoes at the South Propylaeum depicting scenes from the everyday life and the ceremonial activities in Minoan Crete are a great insight into the aesthetic ideals of the time. Follow the evolution of Minoan fashion, learn about the popular hairstyles of the people and discover the beauty products that they used to touch up their look. At the West Magazines, where the storage facilities of the palace are located, you will gain an understanding of the well-organized bureaucracy that supported the palace organization, the earliest forms of linear writing, as well as the Minoan economy and trade networks. Discover the copy of the “Prince of the Lilies” at the South Entrance Corridor and gaze out on Mount Juktas, perfectly framed by the eroded walls of the palace. Picture what rural life must have been like in Minoan Crete as you learn about the agriculture of the early Cretans, travel and transportation of the time and the ritual significance of the mountains in their religion.
This is an unmissable opportunity to experience what life in Minoan Crete must have been like following in Yishharu’s steps, the son of an aristocratic family who grew up in the peaceful years of Minoan naval power!
Select date and participants
Contributors and Bibliography
Tour Author: Cultural Mapping
- Entrance fee/adult ticket for Knossos
- Pre-booked ticket service (e-ticket sent to your email)
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in Knossos
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a combination of an e-ticket & a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone
- No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions about your tickets and the audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Please note that for the audio tour you must have an Android or iOS smartphone and make sure you have enough storage space. The size for the app and the audio tour is 100-150 MB
- EU citizens aged 0-25 years old, are entitled to have free admission tickets. However, they have to wait in line to show ID card or passport.
- From 1st of April to 31st of October Non-EU citizens, between 6 to 25 years old, upon presentation of their passport, are entitled to 50% reduced admission.
- Free/reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Kindly note that wheelchair accessibility to the site isn’t available
Know before you go
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in Knossos. So please download the e-ticket and audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Skip the line and proceed to the validating machines to scan your ticket
- The ticket needs to be either printed or downloaded on your phone
- The audio tour can be used anytime, online or offline. Use your headphones to best enjoy it
1 November to 31 March: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Last admission 14:45 p.m.)
1 April to 31 October: 8:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.