A fascinating self-guided audio walking tour in Plaka with credible & original stories written by top local professionals. Take your Athens tour now & enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
“Insider’s Plaka: the essentials” provides all the information you need to explore the most picturesque neighbourhood of Athens. The Monument of Lysicrates is the only classical choragic monument still standing, a one-of-a-kind remnant from the glory days of ancient Greek drama. A little down the street you will discover the intricacies and charming atmosphere of the traditional Athenian house, with its unique blend of Ottoman and neoclassical features.
The church of Saint Nicholas Ragavas is a Byzantine jewel and commemorates the time when Athens provided brides from the emperors of the Byzantine Empire in Constantinople. The Tower of General Church is the only Ottoman tower house preserved in Athens. Shortly after the house of General Church, you will see the Benizelos mansion, the city’s oldest house whose facade is hidden behind a tall wall. The Kleanthes Mansion became the first university of Athens, while the Bath of Kyrristou Street is a wonderful and recently renovated in all its past splendour Ottoman hammam.
The Roman Forum was for centuries the city’s commercial centre, as the Wheat Market, the heart of Ottoman Athens, was also here. Here you can see the Tower of the Winds, the Madrasa and the Fethiye mosque. Nearby Monastiraki is a vibrant square with a lost church perched on an ancient monument, a cursed mosque, a buried river and a great monastery that shrank. Finally, Saint Eleousa and Assizes gives us the opportunity to explore the neighbourhood of Psyrri.
Denis Roubien is a professor in higher education and an ardent cultural hiker. His travel experiences are recorded in his books and travel blog: culturehikes.com
Choragic Monument of Lysicrates
- Self-guided audio tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Use your headphones to best enjoy it
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Plaka, Monastiraki Square
Saint Nicholas Ragava: 08.30-15.00 | Benizelos mansion: Tue-Thu:10.00-13.00 Sun: 11.00-16.00 | Kleanthes house: Mon-Fri: 09.00-16.00, Sat-Sun: Closed | Bath of Kyrristou Street: Mon, Wed-Sat: 08.00-15.00, Sun: Closed | Roman Forum: Mon-Fri 08.00-15.00, Sat-Sun: 08.00-17.00 | Library of Hadrian: Mon-Sun 08.00-15.00 | Μosque of Tzistarakis: temporarily closed | Urban Rail Transport – Stations Monastirakit – Eridanus river: 5.00-00.00 | Church of the Pantanassa: Mon-Sun: 08.30-15.00 | Saint Eleousa and Assizes: Mon-Fri: 9.00-17.00.
Saint Nicholas Ragava: Free | Benizelos mansion: Free | Kleanthes house: General admission: 2€ | Bath of Kyrristou Street: General admission: 2€ | Roman Forum: General admission: 6€ | Library of Hadrian: General admission: 4€ | Urban Rail Transport – Stations Monastirakit – Eridanus river: Transport tiket: 1,40 | Church of the Pantanassa: Free | Saint Eleousa and Assizes: Free.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
By clicking "Add to cart", you are purchasing this tour in English. This tour is also available in the following languages: Ελληνικά.