Inner Mani Tour: the Defiant Tower Houses is a fascinating self-guided tour at inner Mani. Discover credible and original stories written by top local professionals after extended research. Take your tour now and enjoy it instantly on your smartphone device.
The tour is dedicated to the so-called “aposkieri” (“sitting in the shade”) Mani. This is the part of the peninsula that faces west, towards the Gulf of Messenia and is richly endowed with a history full of battles and campaigns for the control of its strong castles. The Byzantines, the Venetians, the Franks, the Turks and the Slavs clashed here in a long succession of conquests that shaped the local architecture and customs.
Inner Mani Tour begins in Itilo, the northernmost settlement of Inner Mani. Last refuge of many notable Byzantine families who tried to maintain contact with the Christian West during a period of rapid Ottoman advances, it was also home to the Great Festival of Love, established by the Byzantine emperor Manuel II Palaeologus in order to stop the constant conflicts and killings between the powerful families of the area. The settlement of Limeni was created by the noble family of the Mavromichali who chose this isolated location because it offered security and the ability to supervise the whole area. Legend has it that the Mavromichali family descended from fairies but Petrobey Mavromichali rose to become a sort of independent ruler of Mani with absolute power, a large army and impressive wealth.
Τhe jewel of the tour is the complex of 18 caves centered on Diros Cave, discovered by accident at the end of the 19th century. They extend all the way to the southernmost tip of the Mani peninsula, Cape Tainaro and bear traces of life from 4800 BC. Tools, utensils, weapons, animal and human bones indicate that they were used as shelters and storage areas during the Neolithic era. The cave of Alepotrypa nearby was discovered in 1958 by a group of hunters who were after a fox. Recent excavations brought to light the double burial of a young couple in an embrace dating back to 3800 BCE.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Self-guided tour in English for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your tour
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Itilo, Areopoli, Limeni, Diros Caves
Know before you book
- This is a downloadable self-guided tour for your smartphone. No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access your tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required
- The tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Book per device to be used, not per participant
- Non refundable once activated.
Know before you go
- Internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak. So please download the tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!