Discover the history and the legends of Hagia Sophia with a skip-the-line e-ticket and an engaging self-guided audio tour on your phone. Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and admire the coexistence of amazing Byzantine and Ottoman pieces of art and feel like being part of the history of the powerful Byzantine capital.
Put on your headphones and explore the impressive Dome, the most spectacular aspect of the building that features 40 windows, the Wishing Column that according to the legend, it has healing effects on anyone who touches it and the Emperor’s Donations to Mary and Christ Child Mosaic, made in order to commemorate the important victory of the Byzantine Empire.
This is an unmissable opportunity to learn the history of one of the most iconic monuments of Istanbul, to admire the genius of Byzantine architecture and art and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way through the power of storytelling
The Roof, the Roof is on Fire
January 532 was a stormy month for the people of Constantinopolis. Especially for Emperor Justinian, who saw a tense and angry mob revolting against his rule during the most violent events that the city ever faced, the “Nika riots”. The original basilica that Theodosius II had restored was wrapped in flames as hundreds of other buildings all across the city. When the dust settled and Justinian managed to take control again, he commissioned the construction of the colossal Basilica that we see today. It was destined to be a feat of architecture and the most majestic monument of the proto-byzantine period, an era that shaped the future of the Empire.
Select date and participants
Contributors and Bibliography
She has studied History and Archeology at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She continued her postgraduate studies on Byzantine history and she received her master’s degree. In 2019 she received her Ph.D. on Byzantine History.
There is no meeting point. The audio tour and is designed to start at the main entrance of Hagia Sophia (Sultan Ahmet, Ayasofya Meydanı, 34122)
- Adult entry ticket
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and map)
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone and an entry ticket for Hagia Sophia.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- Booking requests received between 22:00 to 7:59 a.m. (Greek time) are served from 8:00 a.m. and on.
- Android (version 5.0 and later required)
- The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Free/reduced admission tickets do not have skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site
- To receive a full refund, travellers may cancel up to 24 hours before the experience start date in the local timezone. No refunds will be given after that time period
Know before you go
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in the Hagia Sophia. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Skip the ticket line & proceed to the entrance to scan your ticket
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the site
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones/headphones
Low Season (November – March) 9:00 a.m-5:00 p.m. with the last entrance time at 4:00 p.m.
High Season April 2nd – 31 Oct 9:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m. with the last entrance time at 6:00 p.m.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.