From $ 28,35 per person
The Mosque-Cathedral of Cordoba has had many lives since its construction in 785: first as a mosque for almost 600 years in Muslim Al-Andalus, then as a cathedral after the Christian conquest and in modern times as a National Monument, a UNESCO world heritage site and to this day a place of intercultural and religious exchange as well as conflict.Experience Cordoba at your own pace with a combo skip-the-line e-ticket for the top attraction of the city, the Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral, and with a captivating self-guided walking audio tour of this marvellous city on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tours on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the grandeur of this beautiful city in Spain.
Put on your headphones and discover the Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral, through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the past. It is also your chance to explore Cordoba with a self-guided city walking tour on your phone and lose yourself in the beauty of its stories. The content of the tours is the result of in-depth research, distilled into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and at any time, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into contemporary Cordoba, and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
Birth and Origin
At the beginning of the 8th century, the Iberian Peninsula was ruled by the Visigoths, who had migrated from Italy to Spain in the 5th century and had already converted to Christianity from paganism. However, their rule came to an end in 711, when the Umayyad Dynasty conquered almost the entirety of Iberia. Yet by the middle of the century, the Umayyads themselves fell victim to a revolution in their homeland, with the last remaining Prince, Abd al-Rahman I, being forced to flee to Iberia. The Prince initiated the construction of this mosque in 785-786, as a foundational building of his new Kingdom, the Emirate of Cordoba. His successors expanded the building several times to accommodate the ever-growing number of worshippers, and largely followed the aesthetic of the original 8th-century building, resulting in a harmonic and consistent aesthetic within its Islamic parts.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry e-ticket for the Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral
- 1 self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- 1 self-guided walking tour of Cordoba
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- Charged smartphone
Entrance of the Mosque Cathedral
Directions to starting point
The self-guided audio tour is designed to start Outside the Mezquita’s entrance of the Mosque Cathedral (C. Cardenal Herrero, 1, 14003 Córdoba, Spain). The easiest way to get there is by the bus station Puerta del Puente (14003, Córdoba, Spain), and then walking 300 meters toward the Cathedral.
The History of the Mezquita of Cordoba, The Entrance to the Courtyard, Patio de los Naranjos, The Prayer Hall of Abd al-Rahman I, The Development of the mosque in the 9th century and religious diversity, The Nave of the Mosque-Cathedral, The Choir Stalls
Monday – Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm
Recommended visiting hours
Monday – Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm
Know before you book
- This is a combination of two downloadable self-guided audio tours for your smartphone and one entry e-ticket for the Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral
- The city of Cordoba self-guided audio walking tour is also included
- No live guide or meeting point provided
- You will receive an email from the local supplier with important ticket and audio instructions
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (350 MB)
- Free/reduced admission tickets do not have skip-the-line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tours while on WiFi prior to your visit — no wifi/4G on-site
- Receive an email from the local supplier with important ticket and audio instructions. Check your spam folder as well.
- Ticket(s) need to be either printed or downloaded on your phone
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- Wear comfortable shoes, a hat and sunscreen during the hot summer months
- Please note that dress code is strictly enforced at Cordoba Mosque-Cathedral. Shoulders must be covered and men must wear long trousers while women must not have skirts shorter than knee length
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.