From per person
The National Park and Pena Palace is the real jewel atop Sintra’s mountain, with a broad history full of adventure. When D. Manuel I built the monastery, he did not expect that from his creation, something big and important would be born. This location has seen many kings and queens passing through, notorious events and history in the making. Are you ready to explore it?
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tours on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of the most important monuments in the cultural landscape of Sintra.
Put on your headphones and discover the Column Temple, the Lake Valley, the Camellia Garden, and the Monk’s Cave through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes about the enchanting town of Sintra and its rich history and culture.
The content of the tours is the result of in-depth research, distilled into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tours can be used repeatedly and at any time, before or after your visit
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into the green wonderland of National Park and the ornately majestic Pena Palace, as well as the charming city of Sintra itself, and relate to your surroundings in an entirely original way.
The Beauty of Camellias
The Camellia Garden is a cultural project focused on the preservation of the species, through a deep study of the plant and its classification. It counted 2,258 flowers around the National Park of Pena, between different gardens. Within these, 285 are identified as 5 different species: Camellia reticulata, Camellia sasanqua, Camellia sinensis, Camellia japonica, and Camellia rusticana. Each has its identification plate, so you can connect the species to the flower and even the description of the flower according to the International Camellia Society records. Many of the Portuguese cultivars are named after members of the Portuguese Royal Family. Each member of the 19th century royal family were celebrated by having a flower connected to them, for example, D. Maria II Queen of Portugal, was celebrated with a cherry-red camellia, D. Pedro V, King of Portugal, with a white with pink stripes camellia, and D. Maria Pia, Queen of Portugal I with a white with crimson striped camellia.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry e-ticket for the National Park and Pena Palace
- Skip-the-line service
- 2 Self-guided audio tours on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
There is no meeting point.
- The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Camellia Garden of Sintra’s National Park (Estrada da Pena, 2710-609 Sintra, Portugal). The easiest way to get there is by car. The tour ends at the Great Hall inside the Palace (Estrada da Pena, 2710-609 Sintra, Portugal).
- The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the Volta do Duche. The easiest way to get there is by reaching the Largo C.M.Sintra bus stop (2710-631 Sintra, Portugal) and you’ll be at the right place to start the tour. The tour ends at the Palace of Seteais (R. Barbosa du Bocage 8, 2710-517 Sintra, Portugal).
Lake Valley| Triton’s Gate | King Charles’ Chambers | National Palace of Sintra | Clock Tower and Old Jail | Church of São Martinho
Recommended visiting hours
National Park and Pena Palace
- Palace (open – close):
09.00 – 18.00 Last ticket and last admission:17.30
- Gardens (open – close):
09.00 – 18.30 Last ticket and last admission: 17.30
Sintra City tour
This is a city tour, therefore, it is always available. It is recommended to take the tour before sunset.
Know before you book
- This is a combination of two downloadable self-guided audio tours for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for National Park and Pena Palace
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS (version 15.0 and later) smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 6/6 Plus or older, iPod Touch 6th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Air 1st generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation or older.
- You will need storage space on your phone (200-300MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have to skip the line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Please be aware that wheelchair accessibility in the Park may vary, with some routes being accessible and others not. The interior of the Palace does not prove accessible to persons facing mobility restrictions due to the presence of stairways.
- Sintra’s city tour is wheelchair accessible, but please note that some points of interest might not be easily reachable for people with mobility issues
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Visitors are advised to wear comfortable shoes
- During the hot summer months, it is highly recommended to wear a hut and use sunscreen
- The ideal time to visit the palace and the park is early morning or early evening
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!