From: 36,00€ per person
Discover how the Romans had a ball with this unique combination of a skip-the-line e-ticket for the Colosseum, also providing access to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill, and a fun audio tour on your smartphone.
Your tour begins at the individual visitors’ entrance gate, easily reached from Colosseum square. Once you’ve completed the security check and passed through the turnstiles, you will head to a belvedere from where you will admire the fabled Arena.
The reconstructed Arena evokes memories of the ancient gladiators, coming to blows in a life or death combat. Meanwhile, in the crater-like Cavea, you’ll recapture the amazement of the public, who shouted and cheered in full swing at the sight of blood.
The undergrounds of the Colosseum are also visible; the stories of the wild animals and the desperate men, waiting in the dark to meet death, are bound to get you deep into the brutal heart of the Colosseum! Once you’ve explored the Colosseum from inside, you’ll continue your tour to experience the surroundings of the grand amphitheater.
Your audio tour will guide your steps to the impressive triumphal arch of Constantine, where you’ll learn about his ascendance to the throne and the victory of Christianity over Paganism.
Finally, you’ll end your walk in front of the Stern Abutment, the triangular counterfort holding up the original third ring of the Colosseum, and listen to the stories about the monument’s successive restorations and transformations.
This skip-the-line ticket and self-guided audio tour combination is the ideal opportunity to enjoy a fascinating visit to the Colosseum and get to know its secrets inside out!
Let’s get the party started!
The construction of the Colosseum began during the reign of Emperor Vespasian, but it was his son Titus who inaugurated the amphitheater, in the year 80 CE. The opening ceremony was held with all the spectacle and grandeur that the event had to entail. Three-month long games were organized as part of the grand inauguration with the events being scheduled according to the customary way; the hunts in the morning, the executions at midday and the gladiatorial combats in the afternoon. Of course, all this was realized at the expense of human lives and thousands of animals, as 2000 gladiators and 9000 animals died during Titus’ inauguration games.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Entrance fee/ adult e-ticket for the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
- Skip-the-line service (e-ticket sent to your email)
- Secure promo code & instructions to access the tour after downloading the app
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food & drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
- Comfortable shoes
- Hat & sunscreen
Directions to starting point
Bus: 75 – 81 – 673 – 175 – 204, stop in front of the monument Metro: from Termini Station line B to the Colosseum stop. Car: near the Colosseum, there is a car park, easily reachable from Via Fori Imperiali. Tram: Line 3
Arena, Basements, Pope’s Cross, Cavea, Daises, Colosseum Square, Arch of Constantine, Stern Abutment.
Recommended visiting hours
The less crowded hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and then from 5:00 p.m. until closing time, but the monument is still pretty much always crowded given it’s one of the most important not only in the city but in the whole world. Spring and Summer are also, of course, a more popular visiting time than Autumn and Winter.
Please note this information is valid in normal/non-pandemic times. Please advise the official Colosseum authorities for more information regarding the current opening and crowded hours.
Know before you book
- This product is a skip-the-line e-ticket to the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill & a self-guided audio tour for the Colosseum downloadable on your smartphone.
- This product is suitable for adults over 25 y.o. (Only adult ticket(s) inluded). If you are eligible for reduced or free entry tickets you need to book them online elsewhere. See below who is elegible for reduced/free tickets
- Participants under 18 years old, as well as visitors with disabilities accompanied by one family member / a helper (belonging to the health and social assistance service), are eligible for free admission. Reduced tickets are also available for EU citizens 18-25 years old
- Please note that due to limited availability of tickets, the selected timeslot might change. If this is the case, one representative of Clio Muse Tours will contact you for amendment.
- No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email from us, with further instructions for your tickets and the audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Booking requests received between 17:00 to 8:59 (UTC+02:00) are served from 9.00 and on.
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Please note that there are no audio tours offered for the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill in this combo
- Non Refundable
Know before you go
- Check the email that you have received from Clio Muse with your e-ticket and download it on your smartphone
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in the Colosseum. So please download the e-ticket and audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Skip the line & proceed to the individual visitors’ gate. Access is granted only to ticket holders. You need to print or download your e-ticket on your phone
- The Colosseum is wheelchair accessible from the entrances located along Via dei Fori Imperiali. The first floor can be accessed by the lift on the northern side of the Amphitheatre
- Kindly note that travelers need to arrive at the entrance of the Colosseum 30 minutes in advance to go through the security check-in. Late arrivals won’t be accommodated.
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the archaeological site
- Please note that for safety reasons the Colosseum can accommodate up to 3.000 people at once. Delays may occur even for pre-booked visitors, but this is still the speediest entry to the site
Contributors and Bibliography
A journalist for Lonely Planet Travel News, a writer for Bossy Italy with an overflowing love for art, travelling and Korean pop music. I write about all those things that attract my attention from Italy and abroad.
Find me on Instagram @beegeddo
Freelance Travel News Reporter @Lonely Planet News
Author @Bossy Italy
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!