Discover how the Romans had a ball with this unique combination of a skip-the-line e-ticket for the Colosseum, also providing access to the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill, and a fun audio tour on your smartphone.
Your tour begins at the individual visitors’ entrance gate, easily reached from Colosseum square. Once you’ve completed the security check and passed through the turnstiles, you will head to a belvedere from where you will admire the fabled Arena.
The reconstructed Arena evokes memories of the ancient gladiators, coming to blows in a life or death combat. Meanwhile, in the crater-like Cavea, you’ll recapture the amazement of the public, who shouted and cheered in full swing at the sight of blood.
The undergrounds of the Colosseum are also visible; the stories of the wild animals and the desperate men, waiting in the dark to meet death, are bound to get you deep into the brutal heart of the Colosseum! Once you’ve explored the Colosseum from inside, you’ll continue your tour to experience the surroundings of the grand amphitheater.
Your audio tour will guide your steps to the impressive triumphal arch of Constantine, where you’ll learn about his ascendance to the throne and the victory of Christianity over Paganism.
Finally, you’ll end your walk in front of the Stern Abutment, the triangular counterfort holding up the original third ring of the Colosseum, and listen to the stories about the monument’s successive restorations and transformations.
This skip-the-line ticket and self-guided audio tour combination is the ideal opportunity to enjoy a fascinating visit to the Colosseum and get to know its secrets inside out!
Select date and participants
Contributors and Bibliography
A journalist for Lonely Planet Travel News, a writer for Bossy Italy with an overflowing love for art, travelling and Korean pop music. I write about all those things that attract my attention from Italy and abroad.
Find me on Instagram @beegeddo
Freelance Travel News Reporter @Lonely Planet News
Author @Bossy Italy
- Entrance fee/ adult e-ticket for the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill
- Skip-the-line service (e-ticket sent to your email)
- Secure promo code & instructions to access the tour after downloading the app
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English for the Colosseum
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food & drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This product is a skip-the-line e-ticket to the Colosseum, Roman Forum & Palatine Hill & a self-guided audio tour for the Colosseum downloadable on your smartphone.
- No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email from us, with further instructions for your tickets and the audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required. (Windows phones are not compatible with the app)
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- Participants under 18 years old, as well as visitors with disabilities accompanied by one family member / a helper (belonging to the health and social assistance service), are eligible for free admission. Reduced tickets are also available for EU citizens 18-25 years old. Please note that reduced/ free entry tickets are not provided by this supplier
- Please note that there are no tours offered for the Roman Forum and the Palatine Hill in this combo
Know before you go
- Check the email that you have received from Clio Muse with your e-ticket and download it on your smartphone
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in the Colosseum. So please download the e-ticket and audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Skip the line & proceed to the individual visitors’ gate. Access is granted only to ticket holders. You need to print or download your e-ticket on your phone
- The Colosseum is wheelchair accessible from the entrances located along Via dei Fori Imperiali. The first floor can be accessed by the lift on the northern side of the Amphitheatre
- Kindly note that travelers need to arrive at the entrance of the Colosseum 30 minutes in advance to go through the security check-in. Late arrivals won’t be accommodated.
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the archaeological site
- Please note that for safety reasons the Colosseum can accommodate up to 3.000 people at once. Delays may occur even for pre-booked visitors, but this is still the speediest entry to the site
Recommended visiting hours
Directions to Starting Point
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.