Jump on a trip to way-back-land with an award-winning storytelling audio tour designed by an accredited expert and enter Castel Sant’ Angelo with you pre-booked skip the line ticket.
Your tour begins at the main entrance of Castel Sant’Angelo, on the bank of the river Tiber. Once you’ve entered the historic castle, you’ll head toward the large open space which was once home to the executions courtyard. Listen to the stories of famous heretics, such as Giordano Bruno, as you explore a site echoing the grueling days of the Roman Inquisition. Getting deeper into the castle, you’ll learn about its early history as a Mausoleum for the glorious Roman Emperors.
Experience the genuine excitement of traveling back in time as you explore Hadrian’s cylindrical tomb. Climb up the original 2nd-century brick-walled ramp leading to the room where the cinerary urns of the Imperial family were once placed! Covered in intricate frescoes, the luxurious Sala Paolina, where Pope Paul III welcomed his honored guests, was designed to impress and manifest the power and wealth of the Catholic Church. Learn about the history of Castel Sant’ Angelo as a papal residence and marvel at the sheer beauty of Perino Del Vaga’s extraordinary decorative complex. Art enthusiasts will fall in love with the Room of Cupid and Psyche and its celebrated ceiling, richly adorned with scenes from Greek Mythology.
Echoing the dramatic ending of the opera Tosca, in which the passionate singer Floria Tosca flings herself over the edge of the castle to find death, Sant’ Angelo terrace is a privileged vantage point. From there, you’ll take glimpses of the famous Passetto di Borgo, the once-secret passageway of the Popes and the iconic statue of the Angel that stands imposingly on the rooftop. Before leaving take in the mesmerizing panorama of the Eternal city stretching below your feet and head to Ponte Sant’ Angelo to end your tour with the stories and legends of the dreamy bridge that spans the river Tiber.
This is an unmissable opportunity to enjoy skip-the-line entry in Castel Sant’ Angelo and discover the stories of a monument tied to the history of Rome!
** Please print your tickets in advance as only printed tickets are accepted at the entrance.
Select date and participants
Contributors and Bibliography
A classical archaeologist with an MA in Management and Administration at SDA Bocconi. He worked in the most important museums of Rome for three years, protecting, preserving and enhancing the cultural heritage of the city.
- Entrance fee/ adult ticket for Sant’ Angelo Castle
- Skip-the-line service (ticket sent to your email by Clio Muse Tours)
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content with an offline interactive map to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or Headphones
- App not compatible with Windows Phones
- Food and Drinks
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a skip-the-line ticket & a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone
- No live guide will accompany you. No VR / AR is included
- After booking, you will receive an email from Clio Muse Tours, with further instructions for your ticket and the audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- An Android or iOS smartphone is required. (Windows phones are not compatible with the app)
- Please ensure you have enough storage space (100-150 MB)
- This is an adult full entry ticket with skip the line service. Participants under 18 years old, as well as visitors with disabilities accompanied by one family member / a helper (belonging to the health and social assistance service), are eligible for free admission. Reduced tickets are also available for EU citizens 18-25 years old. Please note that reduced/ free entry tickets are not provided by this supplier
- Please note that not all parts of the site are wheelchair accessible
Know before you go
- Check the email that you have received from Clio Muse and PRINT your skip-the-line ticket in order to be valid & scanned. Only printed tickets are accepted at the entrance of the Castle
- Keep in mind that internet access might be unavailable & mobile signal may be weak in the Castel Sant’ Angelo. So please download the audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit in order to enjoy it offline
- Skip the ticket line & proceed to the entrance to scan your ticket
- Kindly note that travelers need to arrive at the entrance 30 minutes in advance to go through the security check-in. Late arrivals won’t be accommodated.
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the site
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.