Experience the Castel Sant’ Angelo at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone. Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of Emperor Hadrian’s cylindrical Mausoleum. Known as Hadrian’s Tomb, the Castel Sant’Angelo is a fortress located on the right bank of the Tiber, a short distance from the Vatican City.
Put on your headphones and explore the Hadrian’s cylindrical tomb, the luxurious Sala Paolina, through the power of storytelling and learn historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the ancient times. Tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, squeezed into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and anytime, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to enjoy skip-the-line entry in Castel Sant’ Angelo and discover the stories of a monument tied to the history of Rome.
A Place to Feel Safe
Since the castle was impregnable, Pope Nicholas III Orsini decided to have it connected with the Vatican Palaces through the Passetto di Borgo, an elevated passage linking Castel Sant’ Angelo with the Vatican city. From this moment on, the Castle would remain tied to the history of the Popes, who used it as their fortress and shelter at times of danger. The perimeter walls were added and many additional improvements were commissioned so that the castle could accommodate the papal apartments. Alexander VI Borgia had a new apartment built and commissioned the frescoes to Pinturicchio while Clement VII had a private bathroom decorated with pagan motifs constructed for him.
Select date and participants
Contributors and Bibliography
A classical archaeologist with an MA in Management and Administration at SDA Bocconi. He worked in the most important museums of Rome for three years, protecting, preserving and enhancing the cultural heritage of the city.
There is no meeting point. The audio tour and is designed to start at the main entrance of Castel Sant’ Angelo (Lungotevere Castello, 50, 00193 Roma RM, Italy)
- Adult entry ticket for the Castel Sant’ Angelo
- Skip-the-line service (ticket sent to your email by Clio Muse Tours)
- Self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (Android & iOS) in English
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps)
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone and an entry ticket for the Castel Sant’ Angelo.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- Booking requests received between 17:00 to 8:59 (UTC+02:00) are served from 9.00 and on.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation
- You will need storage space on your phone (100-150 MB)
- Participants under 18 years old, as well as visitors with disabilities accompanied by one family member / a helper (belonging to the health and social assistance service), are eligible for free admission. Reduced tickets are also available for EU citizens 18-25 years old
- This is an adult ticket with skip the line service. Please note that reduced/ free entry tickets are not provided by this supplier
- Please note that not all parts of the site are wheelchair accessible
Know before you go
- Download the ticket & audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit – no wifi/4G on-site
- Receive an email from the local supplier with important ticket & audio instructions.
- Tickets are accepted in either printed or digital format on your phone. Your ticket will be purchased under the name of our company’s legal representative, hence the different name on it. This will cause no issue.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged & that you bring your earphones
- Kindly note that travellers need to arrive 30 minutes in advance to go through the security check-in. Late arrivals won’t be accommodated
- Please consider that large backpacks and bulky bags/ luggage are not allowed in the site
Executions Court, Room of the Cinerary Urns, Sant’ Angelo terrace
Entrance times: from 9:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Last entrance time at 6:30 p.m. The Castle closes at 7:30 p.m.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.