From: 12,00€ per person
Spain’s main archaeological museum, the Museo Arqueológico Nacional houses an impressive collection of artefacts representing the different civilisations that have inhabited the country. Welcome to this meeting point with the history of Spain.
Experience the Archaeological Museum of Madrid at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of some of the most prominent items in the collections of the Archaeological Museum of Madrid.
Put on your headphones and discover the Diadem from Caravaca de la Cruz, The Priest of Cádiz and the Beast of Balazote through the power of storytelling, while learning historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the past. The content of the tour is the result of in-depth research, distilled into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and at any time, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into Iberian history and beyond, and relate to the exhibits in the Archaeological Museum of Madrid in an entirely original way.
The Nation's tribute to itself
During the rule of Queen Elizabeth II (1833-1868), Spain experienced a rise of national consciousness, typical of the Romantic period. As a result, many large public museums were founded throughout Europe, proudly exhibiting objects and material from the nation's past. Thus, in 1867, with the goal of bringing together the collections of historical artefacts scattered among various seats throughout the country and putting them under one roof, Elizabeth II created this museum. The collections were so large that it was necessary to build a proper building to house them in, and so the neoclassical Palace of Libraries and Museums was built by Francisco Jareño between 1867-1892. The palace opened its doors in 1895 and the Museum was officially inaugurated. Since its foundation, the MAN,as it is commonly named, has been a modern museum; it doesn't simply house a collection of treasures, but also teaches the origins and entire history of the nation.
Inclusions and Exclusions
- Adult entry ticket to the Archaeological Museum of Madrid
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour in English on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Charged smartphone
Directions to starting point
The self-guided audio tour is designed to start at the entrance of the Archaeological Museum of Madrid (Calle de Serrano, 13 28001). The easiest way to get there is by metro: Retiro (L2), Serrano (L4).
The tour ends at the same address.
Entrance, Manzanares hand-axe,Scapulae from Castillo Cave,Eye Idol,Diadem from Caravaca de la Cruz,Torcs from Sagrajas,Solana de Cabañas Stele,The Priest of Cádiz,Belt from Aliseda ,Candlesticks of Lebrija, Lady of Galera,Lady of Baza,Beast of Balazo
Opening hours for N.A.M Madrid
Recommended visiting hours
Tues—Sat 9:30am — 8:00pm. Sun & public holidays: 9:30am — 3pm. Mondays closed
Know before you book
- This is a combination of a downloadable self-guided audio tour for your smartphone (accessible through our app) and an entry ticket for the Archaeological Museum of Madrid.
- No live guide or meeting point provided.
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well.
- The course of the visit may be modified and special restrictions may be imposed. The visitors must always adhere to the guidelines of the site.
- Book per device to be used, not per participant.
- An Android (version 5.0 and later) or iOS smartphone is required. The audio tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, iPad Mini 1st generation.
- You will need storage space on your phone (100—150 MB)
- Free and reduced admission tickets do not have skip-the-line privileges and can only be acquired at the ticket booth on-site.
- Interior spaces without architectural barriers
- Toilets adapted for wheelchairs
- Wheelchairs available at coat-check
Know before you go
- Download the ticket(s) and audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. Mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- Guided visits for the visually impaired persons, prior reservation needed
- Tactile labels for the permanent collection
- Tactile stations
Contributors and Bibliography
Download the app
To take this self-guided tour, you will need to download the Clio Muse Tours app on your iOS or Android device. Enjoy your tour!